I live a life in which I have a migraine almost every day. A diagnosis of Chronic Migraine requires that a person have at least 15 Migraine days a month and I blow that out of the water. All of this gives me an understanding that most people do not have about Migraine.
Here are 6 things only a Chronic Migraine Warrior understands:
- You know it is not just a “bad” headache! In fact, you know that it is an excruciating headache that is debilitating to your entire body. Actually, you know that a Migraine isn’t a headache at all…the headache is only a symptom of the Migraine.
- All activities on your calendar are tentative…unless it is a Doctor’s appointment! Until someone figures out how to schedule having a Migraine, everything that is on my calendar is subject to cancellation. Everything except Doctor’s appointments because I have to go to those no matter what! And if someone ever does figure out how to schedule Migraine, I will block that event from being planned…ever!
- Smells are physically painful! Unfortunately, it isn’t the same smells each time. The smells that bother me today may be fine tomorrow. If I am having a Migraine, any odor (good or bad) is fair game for making me severely nauseous.
- Anything that produces light is evil and must be destroyed! My bedroom is my cave. I have dark colored, blackout curtains and blinds in my windows. Sometimes that isn’t even dark enough so I lay on the floor in the bathroom that has no windows and shut the door…then I put a towel down to block the light at the bottom of the door. When I have a Migraine…light is enemy #1.
- I have a deep understanding of super-sonic hearing! When I am having a Migraine, I can hear things that most people can’t. A fan sounds like a jet engine, the neighbors talking outside sounds like a coliseum of people, birds chirping sounds like a choir singing out of tune…this list can go on forever! Please don’t talk loud around me when I am having a Migraine. Actually, you can whisper from across the room and I will most likely be able to hear you!
- I have probably heard the Migraine remedy you are thinking about telling me! In fact, I have probably tried it at some point! I know you are trying to help and I really do appreciate that you care. Your heart is in the right place. Just think of it this way…do you walk up to someone with Diabetes (or any other illness) and tell them how to cure themselves? If the answer is no… I think you get my point.
Hopefully this list with give you at least some idea about the things Migraine Warriors go through. Our brains experience things in a different way than your does. Our brains are more sensitive to stimuli than your is and this make our life experience different than yours,